If you are an IPhone user with move to trash issues you will have to do this:
- Goto Settings/Preferences
- Choose email account info
- Deleted Email
- Check settings for Trash.
- You will want to either tap the Trash on phone, or Trash on Server depending on where you want your Trash stored (not that it should matter as you should be deleting your trash right?).
OLD IMAP ACCOUNTS (aka where the hell did my folders and my email go):
- This will be different for each email client
- You will need to create LOCAL FOLDERS
- Switch your account settings to your old username/pass and connect via IMAP to old.rezgeek.com
- I’ve found folders may take a bit to come up, or you may have to close and reopen your mail client to get them to show up.
- At worse, you may have to right click on your folder and look for a Subscribe setting. You may have to subscribe to a folder to get it to show up in your program.
- Once you have them showing, you will want to copy them to your local folders. Make sure you pay attention to syncing your Sent mail folder too, if you client is like Thunderbird it may not be immediately obvious what is online and what is not.
- Once you have sync’d to your local folders, you will probably want to go through atleast email with attachments and delete some of the old crap you don’t want any more. YOU MAY EVEN WANT TO DO THIS BEFORE SYNC’ING TO YOUR COMPUTER! Make sure to empty your trash after you’ve done this house cleaning.
- Email by and large is small, except for attachments, so pulling your email from old geek will be fast if it’s just email, slow if there is alot of attachments.
- Once you’ve got what you need locally, change your settings back to dreamhost. Then copy the folders back into dreamhost. Again, quick if there are no attachments, slow otherwise, so I do caution you to delete as much of your old attachments as possible, or be willing to wait.
Drop me a line if something else doesn’t seem to be working.
It’s always all about the email right… Sorry I know for some of you shit seems pretty fucked up (to put it lightly)…
I have not sorted my mail out yet, so I do not have a bunch of suggestions for you guys yet (never helps that my work vpn has my old dns information cached).
For you pop users, you are okay, everything seems fine to you. For us IMAP users, well lets just say all your folders and email is still on the old rezgeek.com.
As I alluded to below, you can pull all your email down from my server by making a new account and set the IMAP server as old.rezgeek.com, using your old account name and password (hopefully u remember that). Then you will need to check the settings of your email client and sync them to your local hard drive.
I don’t really have specific help for that because it will really differ per email client, but I’ll see if I can’t post what I do in Thunderbird tomorrow and maybe look an finding some Outlook config information.
These things are never super smooth, but rest assured that all your email is safe and sound somewhere 🙂
So should you not have a proper SMTP host (or don’t want to use your internet providers’), you can also use mail.rezgeek.com as your SMTP (outbound) mail host, but you will need to tell it that you have to authenticate. Again user will be email@example.com and the same pass as you provided for your email.
For those of you that used IMAP before, like myself, and were storing all your email on geek, you will find they didn’t come with you. I haven’t hammered out the process for myself yet, but you can still connect to the old server at old.rezgeek.com.
I’ll post later on with how I end up managing my mailbox from old to new when I get a chance to properly meld them together. My basic idea likely though is to have both my account on my server set up and my acct on dreamhost in the same mail client. From there I believe you could drag and drop folders from one host to the other (I don’t really recommend doing this)
The default mailbox size that I created for everyone is 250M. For us IMAPer’s that may not be enough if you store all your email online. I think maybe I”ll bump that out to 1G here shortly. On geek it was 512M, but if you made subfolders and moved the mail to that, it didn’t count towards your 512M.
Anyways, more work.
So the toc/eoc/coc forums have been moved. All email accounts should be up and running. I haven’t yet tried out the mail system, but you will find if you never actually downloaded your email, it will still be on my old server. You can pull down your old email using pop/imap of old.rezgeek.com.
So we’ll throw caution at the wind and migrate DNS first. This will play a little differently for everyone, but it will all likely work itself out by tomorrow at either rate. For those looking to pull old mail off the old machine, or get files from their public_html dirs, old.rezgeek.com is the old server for you to access for the time being.
I’m not quite sure how I’m going to push all the data I need to push up Dreamhost in time. I have like 5 or 6 galleries that I have to get up there, mine being 40G, another than I’m moving is 25G. Contemplating taking data to work to upload it, which just seems wrong.
Not that any one that matters is currently reading this, but when I migrate, people’s mail usernames will actually have to be firstname.lastname@example.org, not just user.
But I digress, I am essentially talking to myself. Can’t play WoW cause I’ve stuffed my Internet pipe with an upload that I don’t want to stop, cause I don’t want to figure out how sync it later.